September 20, 2018
Re: California Assembly Bill (AB) 516 – Temporary License Plates
California Assembly Bill (AB) 516 was chaptered on July 25, 2016, with an implementation date of January 1, 2019.
This legislation creates a required new electronic issuance process and new temporary permits for use by dealers to issue Reports of Sale and Temporary License Plates. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is working with Fairfax Imaging, dealers, and other stakeholders to ensure the new system meets their needs. The system is called Quick Tags.
Benefit of the New Temporary License Plate (TLP)
- The new temporary license plate will tie the Report of Sale and Temporary License Plate to a specific vehicle, making it less of a target for theft.
- The new temporary license plate will be generated through a vendor-hosted system for dealers. For this new system, the DMV has selected Fairfax Imaging. Fairfax will be conducting a series of training sessions statewide starting the month of October. The finalized training schedule will be published at a later date. Dealers can attend training either in person or online.
- The Report of Sale will be printed at the end of each transaction. The registration procedures that dealers currently follow will not change. With this system, dealers will print out the Report of Sale forms using a local computer and printer and process registration of vehicles sold in the same manner as currently processed, by utilizing a First Line Business Provider, through DMV Industry Business Centers (IBCs), a registration service or by mail to the department.
Temporary License Plate Design
- The new temporary license plate will be printed after entry of vehicle-specific information into the vendor-hosted system, Quick Tags. The applicable temporary license plate will print along with a Report of Sale vehicle registration receipt on any laser or ink-jet printer at a dealership. The temporary license plate will print on paper ordered through Fairfax Imaging. Future details on ordering paper will be provided.
- There are two sizes available – one for vehicles such as automobiles, trucks and trailers, and another for motorcycles.
Temporary License Plate Placement Changed: Rear of Vehicle Only
The new temporary license plate (TLP) is statutorily required to be mounted to the rear of the vehicle where a license plate would be using the TLP paper approved by the state. It is strongly recommended that the TLP is secured using all four perforated holes to prevent flapping and ensure visibility of the plate.
Training – Vendor Hosted and Online System
Fairfax Imaging will be doing a series of statewide dealer trainings throughout the months
of October and November. These trainings will be in the following cities:
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Barbara
- Los Angeles
- Long Beach
- Palm Desert
- San Marcos Rancheros
- San Diego
- El Cajon
- La Mesa
- Chula Vista
- A complete schedule of training will be provided in the coming weeks. All training classes will require a minimum of 15 attendees, otherwise the class will be cancelled.
Minimum Workstation Requirements
Quick Tags is a web based product. Access to this environment from a user perspective is over a secure connection via https:// over the internet. Browsers must be compatible to meet minimum security requirements. Each browser is listed below with descriptions of versions that are compatible:
|Microsoft Edge||Compatible by default|
|Desktop and mobile versions||Compatible by default|
|Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)||Review the Internet Explorer Support for TLSv1.2 article for detailed information and instructions.|
|Desktop and mobile IE version 11||Compatible by default|
|Desktop IE versions 9 and 10||Capable when run in Windows 7 or newer, but not by default. Review the Internet Explorer Support for TLSv1.2 article to enable TLS 1.2 encryption. Windows Vista and older operating systems, such as Windows XP, are not compatible with TLS 1.2 encryption.|
|Desktop IE versions 8 and below||Not compatible|
|Mozilla Firefox||Compatible with the most recent, stable version, regardless of operating system|
|Firefox 27 and higher||Compatible by default|
|Firefox 23 to 26||Capable, but not by default.|
|Firefox 22 and below||Not compatible|
|Google Chrome||Compatible with the most recent, stable version, regardless of operating system|
|Google Chrome 38 and higher||Compatible by default|
|Google Chrome 22 to 37||Capable when run in Windows XP SP3, Vista, or newer (desktop), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer (desktop), or Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or newer (mobile)|
|Google Chrome 21 and below||Not compatible|
|Google Android OS Browser|
|Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and higher||Compatible by default|
|Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and higher||Compatible by default|
|Android 4.4 (KitKat) to 4.4.4||Capable, but not by default.|
|Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and below||Not compatible|
|Desktop Safari versions 7 and higher for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and higher||Compatible by default|
|Desktop Safari versions 6 and below for OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and below||Not compatible|
|Mobile Safari versions 5 and higher for iOS 5 and higher||Compatible by default|
|Mobile Safari for iOS 4 and below||Not compatible|
How to Register
To register your dealership for the system, we need the Dealership Owner’s email address to start. Please send an email to email@example.com and provide the following information:
Owner Email Address
Best Phone number to reach Owner
Once this information is received, further communications on training, registration and eventually access to the system will be provided by subsequent email communications. Kindly provide this information by October 5, 2018.
We understand this is a large implementation effort with a lot of information. We will work with you every step of the way. If you have additional questions or would like more detailed information email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will answer as quickly as possible.
Electronically printing Report of Sale (ROS) forms and Temporary License Plates is not an option. It is required by law. Dealers and lessor-retailers that have First Line Service Providers should contact your providers for information as they may also be providing this service. All dealers have the option of utilizing our QuickTags service; however, it will be your choice. The DMV encourages dealership owners to register early and get dealership managers and salespersons trained to use the new system as soon as possible. After January 1, 2019, the old preprinted ROS forms will not be accepted.
On behalf of the California Department of Motor Vehicles and Fairfax Imaging, I wish you a warm welcome to our new Quick Tags solution, paving the way for a secure and state-of-the-art Report of Sale and Temporary License Plate system for the State of California.
Donna Castello, PMP
Vice President, Solution Delivery